Monday, October 23, 2006

emo

My father will be coming here for a vacation next month. He'll be here for a week, and then he'll fly back to the States in time for Thanksgiving. He said he's sorry he can't stay for my wedding. He has his reasons, and I believe him. No big deal. At 27, I'm too old and tired for this Cats-in-the-Cradle shit.

But I'd be a hypocrite on the level of politicians if I say I'm taking all this with a Sam Milby smile. There are moments - usually Rhum-Coke moments late at night - when I fancy how it'd be like to have my father on my wedding. To see him march hand-in-hand with my mother. To feel the firmness of his hand as he congratulates me and my bride. Sipping my drink, feeling the familiar buzz in my head, I'd tell myself, I'd give anything for that. Unfortunately, fate has pushed me in a situation wherein I've nothing to give. Heck! There's not even much to say. And I'm too drunk to do something about it.

I'm not depressed, though. Far from it, in fact. I've attended weddings that could've been more memorable if only one or both parents from either side acted like decent human beings. I know of a guy whose wedding was boycotted by his parents because they didn't like the bride. What I have is small change compared to them. For that I can't be thankful enough.

5 Comments:

Blogger mikay said...

cheeers man!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Mister Gyudon said...

Cheers. Thanks for understanding . . . =)

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love this post.

sweetie, i've been fantasizing, er, dreaming of having a father walking me down the aisle on my wedding day but he passed away too early.

you still have yours but he can't make it? gee. you'll only get married (hopefully) once and i hope your dad can make it somehow. that would look good on the photo-op, for one.

am surprised you're not depressed. or maybe sino-showbiz mo lang kame. hehe.

wish you and charmaine the best (saw you at the last terno in cubao but it would have been too staker-sih to approach you and your beloved).

basta dad or no dad, sagot ko wedding announcement if you want it. :D

ps. i wonder what music you'll play in the church, and is the motif black? hmm.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Mister Gyudon said...

It's really a long and complicated story, and I think getting depressed over it is just a form of self-indulgence. Why ruin everything over things that are beyond my control? Of course, if I wrote this two years ago, it'd be different. So many things happened between then and now, and now I'm too tired to be miserable.

Btw, what do we have to do/send for the announcement? =)

PS: Sorry to hear about your father. Maybe if I'm the bride, I'll get super-depressed over the fact that my father won't be beside me on my wedding.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Joseph Bautista said...

I saw your wedding annoucement on a newspaper. :)

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home