Tuesday, August 22, 2006

cubao antisocial


Cubao, 11:15am, Saturday.

Why I'm here is a personal mission to score all Elmore Leonard titles I can find in Booksale. There are four Booksale branches in Cubao, so this will not be a problem.

It's easy to be an antisocial in Cubao - all you have to do is look at the people. Here and there are well-perfumed freaks drinking designer coffee, smiling the smile of people who know they are drinking at the right place. Old ladies laugh like it's all they ever do in the world. Guys read foreign magazines to appear brainy. Fashionistas with shopping bags idle around enjoying the feeling of being looked at.

Behind me is a guy my age talking about his favorite brand of moisturizer. I think it's weird, but I remember seeing a poster of Sam Milby the other day endorsing a derma soap. Maybe it's me who's being weird.

Maybe.

In Araneta Coliseum is a poster announcing Westlife is coming to town. Teenage girls look at it and swoon. Some teenage boys look at it and swoon too. Cueshe will perform in Padi's Point, Cindy Kurleto in Klownz. Tonight in Farmers Foodcourt, a no-name made-for-Japan band will take the stage and regale the drunken "jologs" audience with cheesy renditions of Hey Mickey and When the Smoke Is Going Down.

Suicidal Tendencies on my MP3 player: How can I laugh tomorrow when I can't even smile today?

I imagine Gateway Mall in flames.

I imagine National Bookstore crumbling to the ground.

There's a girl infront me of me, saying, You know what your problem is? You're antisocial. I tell her, No I'm not, society's anti-me. Ok, I ripped that off from Grant Morrison. Sue me.

The girl disappears. Of course, she's only in my head.

Terrorist bombings in Araneta Coliseum, Farmers Plaza, Ali Mall. All those beautiful people running around shrieking like wounded faggots.

Cindy Kurleto will have to cancel her show.

I pick my Elmore Leonard books, drink the rest of the beer I bought from 7-Eleven, walk away. In my head, a question: "Why am I such a wanker?"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work a jeepney ride away from Cubao and I totally agree with your observations. I'm a bit reluctant to show you my real blogger identity, because I like Disturbed and Linkin Park, but what the heck, I am just being true to myself.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

To each his own, I guess.

But at least you agree with me w/ Cubao, hehe . . .

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good thing you respect one's individuality. kudos to that.

no offense, your writing style reminds me of a used-to-be-infamous blogger named Limp Bwizit. you're both about the same age range, I think. it's just that, you're his "metal hard core" version... he, he =)

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i *drool* over cindy kurleto.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

I just don't like it when people call the music of Disturbed, Linkin Park, etc, metal. It's not!!!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just don't like it when people call the music of Disturbed, Linkin Park, etc, metal. It's not!!!"
- I don't actually. I prefer to call them rock. but still, I like their music, each man to his own nga di ba? anyway, I heard everything I need to hear about them (naka-tsamba, poser, etc.) which made me like them more. College is enough for me to deal with the "purist" kind.

all that said, it is that way of thinking of other people that made me like them more.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home