Friday, June 29, 2007

baguio memories

The last and only time I was in Baguio was in February, 2003, when as part of the Manila Times I was tasked to cover the annual PMA Alumni Homecoming in Fort del Pilar. I've fond memories of that trip: the raucous fireside booze-fest with then Defense Secretary Angelo Reyes and other top military officials who let their hair down, so to speak, for the night; sharing bottles of Carlo Rossi with Grace Morales while the guys checked out the bars; traversing the dark Kennon Road on a drizzly twilight while falling in love with Richie Sambora's Undiscovered Soul album on my Walkman. Magic moments; simply unforgettable.

Tomorrow, with my wife this time, I'll be in the City of Pines again. I don't expect much except for us to go home with treasures in our heads. Things to tell our kids and grandkids in the future. Will probably stay at Teachers' Camp and do some ghost-hunting in the night - why not? Drink coffee in this place in SM overlooking the world, as recommended by my good friend Joseph Orbeta. Go boat-riding in Burnham Park and stuff. Drink the whole place in in one smooth gulp. Already I am drunk with anticipation. Can already picture myself in the bus listening to Tom Waits, my face in the window watching everything...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home